Friday, April 06, 2007

Half-half



I open my eyes. Darkness. The last thing I remember about this planet, the sun was in the sky. My cell phone's vibrating and emiting this blue glow into the night. 9pm and Jitu's calling. I pick up the phone and mumble, "I fell asleep". "We're waiting outside your door, doesn't your doorbell work?" "No. Hold on I'll be there in a second". "Take your time, we've been waiting an hour...." Oops. Some relaxation and fruit juice later, it's midnight and I'm alone again, reading a book. I drift into sleep again. I wake up around 3am and look at my phone for some reason. Four missed calls and some poems. Everyone but me is in overdrive tonight. I'm a lotus eater, I think and drift back to sleep. 8 am I wake up sleeping sideways and the first thing I see opening my eyes is my cell phone about one inch from my right eye. I look at it for a while and decide that it's worth photographing. Bring out the camera and tell it to smile. In the middle of the photoshoot, it starts vibrating. It's Moushu, I haven't spoken to her in months, is she calling from Delhi or is she back in Bangalore? "Hello", I answer half groggy half cheerful. "yabalabkhwaa shsannfslfs..." starts the male voice reply "Hold on", I tell him, "Could you repeat that? I just woke up..." "Sir, I'm calling from the Ramada International in Istanbul, do you know who's cell phone this is?" Heavily accented voice. I start laughing. I do have a few friends capable of pulling a prank like this, so i ask him to tell me more. "A cab driver just brought this phone in and we believe the person who owns it is a guest at this hotel. But we don't know the guest's name and so I'm just calling the last person who was called from this phone and that was you." "Me?", I think to myself. Well not much has been adding up anyway so I give him the name he needs, he finds it in his computer and thanks me with a good night. Good night, I reply, and wake up. Put on some Stan Getz on my stereo and get back to reading my Murakami. Suddenly the morning noises are shattered by the sound of electric guitars and drums and growling vocals. The metal band is practicing again somewhere out there. 8am! I go out to my balconey and look outside. Heavy metal, Murakami, Stan Getz, Istanbul. What a lovely start to the day, I love India! I go inside with a big smile plastered on my face, I gotta write this somewhere I think, and head towards my computer.

3 Comments:

Blogger hemangini said...

sounds surreal - stream of consciousness post.

Saturday, 07 April, 2007  
Blogger goldfluke said...

while hitching up my pants, en route to the door to work, i looked at my bed and wondered how many long hours i will have to work before i get to curl back into it.

enjoy the good times while they last :)

Thursday, 21 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Thursday, 27 January, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home